February 25, 2010 at 7:00 am 1 comment

WELL! Today has been one seriously intense day.Β It was swimming sports with school and then afterwards I had my NZ Army fitness test…

Swimming sports was lots of fun πŸ™‚ I entered 4 events but only competed in 3 because the 4th event was cancelled due to time constraints 😦
I swam in 1 length freestyle, 2 lengths freestyle and 1 length breaststroke. I sucked in the first two, but I didn’t expect any better. I haven’t been for a proper swim in about 3 weeks, HOWEVER- I came first in the 1 length breaststroke πŸ™‚ That made me very happy. The first time in my history at Trident High School that I came first in anything sports related.

I spent the day with 3 awesome friends and the time just flew by. I was pretty anxious the whole day though in anticipation of what would be to come at 4.30pm…..

I didn’t each much throughout the day. I had a small breakfast which was about 1 and a half eggs, 1/4 of a can of baked beans and 1 slice of toast.

I had to force myself to eat throughout the day at swimming sports. I ate two carrots and a small fruit bar, an apple and a marmite sandwich. When I got home I made sure to drink up (because I hadn’t had much water either) and eat some good, healthy food.

I had some green tea, an orange, a handful of Brazil nuts and a Green Monster containing: 1 banana, 4 small leaves of silverbeet, 1/4 cup of blueberries, 1 cup of skim milk, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
It was a it odd tasting, but I was glad I drank it. That stuff gives you such a huge energy boost!! I’d recommend it more than any energy drink available.

At 4.10pm I headed down to the Army hall. The weather’s been pretty on-off all day. Changing between sunshine and heavy showers the whole time, it was alright during swimming sports coz we were all wet anyways. The weather was looking pretty shite when I got there, but I have no problem exercising in rain so it didn’t phase me.

Out of 30 applicants from our area, EIGHT showed up for the fitness test. I don’t care, gives us more of a chance of being accepted!! Oh, by the way, I was the only girl there.

The fitness test was very much more difficult than I had ever anticipated… But as you know, I thrive on a challenge and a chance to work up a heart rate raising sweat so I stayed positive.

The test included:

  • 2.4K run (in under 10 minutes 30 seconds for guys, 12 minutes 20 seconds for girls)
  • Press-ups (ARMY STYLE!! VERY much more difficult than JENNY style lol. Minimum of 28 for guys, 15 for girls)
  • Curl-ups (minimum of 66 for guys and 50 for girls)

The run was killer… I got to the turnaround point and the Army guy in charge told me I’d need to really work hard on the way back to make it in time… Boy howdy did that light a fire beneath me. I HAULED SERIOUS ASS all through that 1.2 Kilometer! It was painful. I couldn’t breath very well, my throat burned, my stomach burned, my face burned, but I ran as quickly as I could.

When I made it to the finish line, I almost died of happiness when I heard my time was 11:57 πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ It wasn’t as great as it COULD have been, but hell, I DID IT!!! I ran the fastest I have ever run in my life and I’m so proud that I achieved the requirements for the run πŸ˜€

Next up was press ups. Those sucked… I felt terrible because I was only able to do 20 crappy ones. He said he’d count 16 rather than 20 because he goes for quality over quantity and I hadn’t done too well… Something to work on for the future I guess. I’m glad I achieved the minimum though πŸ™‚

Finally, there were the Curl Ups. He told us the minimum requirements, then he said that when you’re doing them, girls can stop when they reach 118 and guys can stop when they reach (something like) 130. I had never done that particular style of ab work before, but I was so glad that I’ve spent months and months working on my abs because I knew reaching 50 would be a breeze.

We were paired off and worked with our partner to count how many they did and to make sure they were maintaining form and doing them correctly.
When it was my turn, I just went for it. I gave it everything and focused on my breathing and making sure to use my abs. Well… this went far better than I could ever have anticipated because I did the full 118!!! I could’ve kept going but my neck started to hurt :/

I beat all the guys and after that had mad respect from them. It had started raining pretty heavily by then. The guy in charge took us all aside individually and we had a sort of interview. Then he spoke to us all as a group and told us that he’d get back to each of us within the next coming week. He told us we’ll receive one of three letters; saying either congratulations you’ve got a spot, we’re keeping you as a reserve or sorry, not this year.

Apparently there have been 80 applicants for this trip and there are 15 spots available… Pretty intense. I’m keeping my fingers crossed, hoping one of those 15 spots are mine.

If not, well now that I know what to expect I’ll just work 10 times harder and come back and whip some serious booty next year πŸ™‚

Anyway, I’m exhausted now, it’s been a loonngg and busy day and I’ve got heaps of homework to do before bed 😦

To all the Trident Students, hope you all had an awesome time at Swimming Sports πŸ™‚

Night all!



Entry filed under: Fitness, School. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , .

This is why I want a Welsh Corgi Pumpkin & Kumara Hummus

1 Comment Add your own

  • 1. BUSY DAY! + Good news! :D « Scar Tissue  |  March 6, 2010 at 9:13 am

    […] GOT INTO THE ARMY CAREERS EXPERIENCE!!!!!! So happy! When I found out I was jumping for joy like CRAZY! I’m so proud of myself and I […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Hey there, my name's Jenny. I have a huge passion for cooking/baking, writing, yoga and photography. I love nature and my favourite thing to do is spend an entire day outside, breathing in crisp, fresh air. Even better if I have a pen and paper with me. I started out running in March 2009 but sustained an injury in October 2009 which has unfortunately prevented me from running. I've been experimenting with other kinds of exercise to find another one that clicks. Follow me on my journey to maintaining good health + surviving high school and pursuing a career in Journalism. I Hope you enjoy reading my blog!

Questions? Comments? Email me at jennyeatliverun@hotmail.com

February 2010
« Jan   Mar »


Tweet Tweet!

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

%d bloggers like this: